- May include poetry, fiction (e.g. short stories), or creative non-fiction (including essays).
- Submissions must not exceed 5,000 words.
- Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org in MS Word format, double spaced, 12-point font, with title and page numbers clearly marked.
- Submission of a story, poem or image implies that the work is original, has not been previously published in a peer review format, and that the author agrees to transfer first publication and anthology copyrights to Medicine and Meaning as well as permission to audio or video record a live rendition of the work. Prepublication in a blog or social media outlet with a readership of less than 500 is allowed.
- Up to four images/photographs may be submitted at a time, each of high definition, in JPEG format (300 dpi or higher). The images should not be embedded in a Word doc or an email – email as attachments or (preferably) link to the files via Box, Dropbox, etc. so we can get the original JPEG files, not compressed/embedded versions.
- Each photograph must be appropriately titled – captions are optional; titles and captions may be submitted separately in MS Word format.
- An essay of approximately 1,000 words to accompany the photographs may be submitted separately in MS Word format. The essay can address the photographs, or be a story of the photographer’s life and motivation.
- Email submissions to email@example.com
Submissions are received at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the submission has been received, the Editor-in-Chief reviews for appropriateness for journal review and if appropriate will send the item to the appropriate Section Editor for processing. The Section Editor generally acknowledges the submission with an email to the author within a month. The Section Editor then sends the item to at least two reviewers and/or a review committee within ten days. The section editor communicates with the corresponding author(s) by email and will preside over the peer review process. Authors are anonymous to reviewers until the time of publication. Review decisions are expected within one month and fall into one of three categories: Accept, Revise and Resubmit, and Decline. The revised manuscript is expected to be resubmitted within three weeks of this notification. Revisions are received by the Section Editor who will manage the re-review and determine if it is acceptable for publication or if it requires further review through reviewers and/or review committee. Although the same timelines apply for revisions, it is expected that the revisions will be responsive to the review comments and, therefore, the subsequent review period should be shorter.
The Section Editor will inform the author of the final decision about their submission. After publication, the Section Editor will send a link to the author/artist in which they can locate their published work and will thank them for their contribution.
Medicine and Meaning publishes creative works that represent the full range of experiences and identities in the world but will not publish work inconsistent with UAMS core values including, but not limited to, work that could promote pornography, child abuse, animal abuse, racism, and/or terrorism.